Jack Howe Memorial Tournament
2022 — Long Beach, CA/US
The following policies will guide our definition of novice eligibility. Please refer to these polices as you evaluate whether to register students in Novice or
1. For Students That Competed In Middle School: A high school freshman [or beyond] that competed in an event at more than five total tournaments in middle school cannot register for that event as a novice. A high school freshman [or beyond] that competed in an event at less than five total tournaments in middle school may register as a novice for that event.
2. General Definition For Novice: A “novice” constitutes a student that has competed in less than one complete competition season. “One complete competition season” would include either five [or more] tournaments in one semester AND/OR at least one tournament in two semesters. E.G. A high school sophomore that competed in LD at five tournaments in the fall of the previous year would not be a novice, nor would a high school sophomore that competed in one tournament in the fall and the spring of the previous year.
3. First-Time Entries In New Debate Events: A student who has no more than one complete competition season [or less] of Congress, LD, or PF but has not competed in other debate events may enter as a novice in policy debate. A student who has one complete competition season of policy debate [or more], however, may not enter Congress, LD, Parli, or PF as a novice.
4. First-Time Entries In New Speech Events: A student who has competed in no more than one complete competition season [or less] of debate events, but has not competed in any speech events, may enter as a novice in speech events. A student who has competed in no more than one complete competition season [or less] of speech events, but has not competed in any debate events, may enter as a novice in debate events.
5. Middle School Congress: This year, we will offer separate divisions for students in middle school who wish to participate in student congress. A student may enter these events if they have not matriculated into 9th grade. There is no cap of prior years of experience to enter students in middle school public forum or student congress.