52nd Annual Marshall University John Marshall
2024 — Huntington, WV/US
It is my pleasure to invite you to attend the 52th annual Marshall University John Marshall Speech and Debate Tournament to be held on Friday, 9 February 2024, and Saturday, 10 February 2024, at Marshall University, Huntington, West Virginia.
This year we will offer competition in 17 different speech and debate events. The events are: Broadcasting, Declamation, Dramatic Interpretation, Duo Interpretation, Extemporaneous Interpretation, Extemporaneous Speaking, Humorous Interpretation, Impromptu Speaking, Informative Speaking, Original Oratory, Poetry Interpretation, Program Oral Interpretation, Prose Interpretation, Storytelling, Lincoln-Douglas Debate, Public Forum Debate, and Congressional Debate.
Unique features of this tournament:
- We run two sessions of Congressional Debate on Friday morning before the remainder of the tournament starts. There is no judge obligation for Congressional Debate.
- We allow a lot of cross-entry possibilities, including entering up to six speech events and entering both Lincoln-Douglas and Public Forum Debate.
- We include a special speech event each year. This year it will be an old favorite created by former Coach Danny Ray: Extemp Interpretation. (In addition, we may be bringing back a round of Broadcasting as the event was done in the 1970s and 1980s.)
- We do provide lunch on Saturday and snacks throughout the tournament and include a hospitality fee to cover a portion of those costs.
- We present a Traveling Trophy each year that is now 45 years old.
- We are changing our speech-entry-to-speech-judge ratio from 6:1 to 8:1 to make meeting judge obligations easier on coaches.
- You may make changes to your entry through Thursday at 12:00 PM without charge.
- We have reverted to the tournament schedule used for many years but not last year.
The deadline for entries is Tuesday, 6 February, at 5:00 PM.
If you have any questions, please contact me. We look forward to seeing you this winter!
Dennis C. Taylor
Director of Forensics
Phone: +1 304.541.0332