Mesa High Jackrabbit Jamboree
2023 — Mesa, AZ/US
Original Spoken Word Poetry
will follow the rules below:
1. Students will perform their own original spoken-word poetry. Each student should prepare between 3 and 5 poems, roughly 3 minutes in length, for use during the competition.
2. Poems must be the original work of the student, and the student may not use poetry written by other poets.
3. Students will perform one of their poems per preliminary round.
4. Students may not repeat poems in prelim rounds.
5. Students may use new poems, or choose one from the poems they used in Prelims for elimination rounds leading up to finals.
6. Students making the final round will perform 3 of the poems from their collection for the final round.
7. Poems are to be no longer than 3 minutes. There will be a 10 second grace period. After the grace period lapses, students may not receive the 1st place rank, but any other ranking decisions are at the discretion of the judge.
8. Students may choose to have a chapbook, notebook, or black book with them with no penalty. However, a chapbook, notebook, or black book is not required. Students may not use their cell phones. Any material students bring with them may not be used as a prop.
9. Students will be evaluated based on both their performance, and on the quality of the material they present, as the judge sees fit.
10. Students may not use any music/drum tracks/beats etc. except those that they make with their own bodies (“beat boxing”, etc.)
11. Ranking and speaker point assignation/tabulation/tiebreakers/etc. will follow the same rules as with all other Interpretation events.