Duquesne University Invitational
2022 — Pittsburgh, PA/US
1. Selections in this event must be in prose form. Selections from drama are not to be used.
2. The reader must use a manuscript.
3. Each reader shall give a brief introduction to the reading. The purposes of the introduction are to arouse the interest of the audience and to provide the necessary background for the reading.
4. The selection should be judged for its appropriateness as contest material and its suitability to the particular contestant using it. The use of good literature should be noted favorably.
5. This is a contest of interpretation. The contestants should be evaluated on poise, quality and use of voice, inflections, emphasis, pronunciation, enunciation, physical expression, and especially the ability to interpret characters correctly and consistently.
6. The final test of good interpretation is the ability to use all these factors so successfully and unobtrusively that the hearer forgets that this is a contest and is carried away to the time and place of the story being unfolded.